Essdras M Suarez
Essdras M Suarez is a DC-based two-time Pulitzer prizewinner photographer. He was a photojournalist for 20 years with images published in National Geographic, Time Magazine, NYT, Washington Post, Le Figaro, The Guardian, etc.
A Boston Globe staff photographer for 12 years until 2014, he received national and international awards for his coverage of the Iraq War, Tsunami Aftermath, Newton Massacre and Boston Bombing Marathon, among others. He’s also been awarded for his Travel and Street Photography. He was the chief photographer for million
Havana, Cuba- A young girls holds on to her mother's hands as she walks on the Malecon, which is at the heard of social life in Havana.
Suarez was a staff photographer at the Boston Globe for 12 years until 2014 and while there he received national and international accolades for his coverage of stories such as the Boston Bombing Marathon, Sandy Hook Massacre, Tsunami aftermath, Iraq war coverage and others. He’s also received multiple awards for his portrait, food, product and travel photography.
Suarez, who is also a USDOS expert speaker in Photojournalism specializing in Latin America, has worked in over 60 countries and currently teaches photo workshops locally, nationally and internationally. He was
In 2018, Essdras had two major exhibits at the prestigious Xposure International Photo Festival in Sharjah, UAE as well as teaching a two-d day Street Photography workshop. He’s also a regular speaker at the premiere Central America photo event: Fotoweek Panama Photography Conference.
He was born in Panama and has been married for over 25 years. He graduated from the University of Florida in 1993 with Bachelors in Science of Journalism and was awarded the Alumnus of Distinction in 2010.
Banda, Aceh- Indonesia A young girl prays as other refugee children play at the Darussalam Syiah Kuala University campus mosque in Banda Aceh after a Tsunami killed hundreds of thousands of people in the area and in other countries.
• 2014 Spot News Pulitzer (Boston Marathon Bombing), Boston Globe Editorial Staff
• 2015 and 2018 Named as part of the Powermeter of Latinos in Boston and in DC.
• 2008, 2007, 2005 awards from the Society of American Travel Writers Foundation
• 2008, 2000 Headliner Awards for International Photojournalism and Feature
• 2008, 2007 1st Place features category from the Association of Newspaper & Editors
• 2008 Gerald Loeb Award for Distinguished Business and Financial Journalism award
• 2002 – 2012 varied awards from the Boston Press Photographer’s Association
• 2000 Spot News Pulitzer (Columbine Shooting), Denver Rocky Mountain News Staff
• 2000 Robert F. Kennedy International Photojournalism Award
• 1996 – 2001 varied awards from the Colorado Press Association