Gonçalo Fonseca (b. 1993) is a documentary photographer based in Lisbon, Portugal, that specializes on intimate and long term projects.
In his early teens, he developed a passion for capturing those crucial moments of time, where you could see life pulsating if you looked carefully. Later he discovered the power of storytelling and journalism. Since 2017 he has worked on long term projects in Portugal, China and India, commiting himself tirelessly to shed light on under-reported topics and to amplify the voices of those he photographs.
Carlos at a Government Rehabilitation Center in Portugal, 2017
Recently, his ongoing body of work New Lisbon won the Leica Oskar Barnak Award – Newcomer. He was a finalist in “Community Awareness Award” ” at the 78th Pictures of the Year International in 2021. Gonçalo’s others distinctions include the Yunghi Grant 2020 (US), the Estação Imagem Award – Daily Life 2020 (PT), the Photographic Allard Prize for International Integrity 2019 (CAN), Young Talent at the Educating the Eye Award 2019 (ES) and finalist at the Hellerau Portrait Award 2018 (GER).
Gonçalo’s work has been exhibited in numerous museums and festivals in countries like Portugal, Spain, Germany, China, South Korea, Australia, among others.
Mília is a 93 year old woman. She lost her eye-sight ten years ago and relies on Nelita for her daily food and help with chores. “I was born here and I raised three boys in this small apartment, this is all I know. If I am evicted, how will I survive on my own in another place?” asks Emília. Lisbon, 2019
Books, Films and Exhibitions
– New Lisbon – exhibited at the Photopia in Hamburg, Germany June 2021
– New Lisbon – exhibited at the Leica Gallery in Porto, Portugal, May to July 2021
– New Lisbon – exhibited at the F2 Photo Festival in Dortmund, Germany June 2021
– New Lisbon – exhibited at the Gongbech Gallery in Jeju, South Korea, January to February 2021
– New Lisbon – exhibited at the Shanghai Center of Photography, China, November 2020
– Squatting Moms – exhibited at “The World Within” part of PhotoBrussels 05, November 2020
– Hope – exhibited in Dresden at the the Hellerau Portrait Award 2018, September 2018 ,
– Organ Bazaar – exhibited in the European Month of Photography Bratislava, October 2018